So you have been to the official website to book your tickets for the Caminito del Rey and to your dismay the dates you want are full (agotado). Not to worry as there are two other ways that you can get your ticket.
Firstly, stay in a local hotel such as the Posada del Conde or the Garganta Complex. These are the two hotels nearest to the walk that can get the tickets for you. (When you make the booking, make sure that you add a message to say that you are specifically booking because you want to walk the Caminito del Rey.) If the hotels are full then other hotels found on booking.com can help as well such as the fantastic Hotel Magdalena closer to Antequera.
Secondly, Just turn up and buy your ticket at the gate. (10 euros each and you can pay by card as well as cash). Remember that the entrance for the Caminito del Rey is at the reservoirs/kings chair/el kiosko side… The north entrance. Right now you cannot start the walk from the El Chorro (south) side…
This is because there are a percentage of tickets (6% of the 1100 people allowed in daily.) When you can enter depends on how many people turn up for each allocated time slot. The maximum amount of people that enter every half an hour is 60 people so if you are there to buy your ticket at 11am and there are only 45 people checking in then you will be allowed to go along with that group… If there are 60 people you will have to wait for the next group in 30 minutes time.
Speaking with the manager there she told me that very rarely do people have to wait for more than an hour and on this day she had sold 120 entries at the gate and the people went in almost straight away but, she did say…”Try to get here as early as possible for the morning entries and weekends or holidays can be more complicated sometimes meaning people get turned away”
Even if you do have to wait a while, it really isn’t a hardship to sit and admire tha amazing scenery at the entrance to the Caminito del Rey!
Tickets are now available right up to the end of January 2017 for walking the Caminito del Rey.
There is also now a guided tour option on the booking page and as all the information is in Spanish, One must assume that the guided tour is in spanish as well.
Presumably the web site and the guided tours will be correctly published and supplied in at least English in the near future. As of now it seems the emphasis is on the Spanish language even though a large proportion of visitors are international.
Info on how to book your ticket here…
I hope these instructions help you to reserve a walk on the Caminito del Rey. The comments and questions at the bottom are also very helpful so please feel free to ask or leave some feedback/experiences
IF THE DATE YOU ARE WANTING IS NOT AVAILABLE, PLEASE CLICK HERE AND READ HOW TO GET A PERMIT WITHOUT USING THE ONLINE FORM…
Entry permits are 10 Euros per person and payment is made by credit/bank card in full during the booking process.
- Go to www.caminitodelrey.info (This is the English language page.)
- In the the top left column click on “Book your visit” and you’ll be taken to the booking portal (In Spanish) You can select English language at the top right of the booking portal.
- A new page opens and there are six image logos of the Caminito del Rey. The top left Image says “CAMINITO DEL REY” and is larger than the other five logos. Click on “Comprar” (buy/choose). NOTE: The other 5 selections are for last minute bookings for, say, tomorrow, the 5th link is to rebook a date if the Camito del Rey is closed for some reason on your original reservation date. The 6th link is to book a guided visit.
- (If you are rebooking for another date because of closure on your original date of entry click on the link that says “CANJEO POR CIERRE”. Select the new date you want and then add the original reference number from the email you received when you made your initial reservation.)
- In the new page with the calendar select the date that you would like the permit for. (use the buttons to navigate through the calendar. It is a bit long winded if the dates you want are not available as you have to click on “Inicio” to go back and start again.) “Agotado” means no places available…
- Select the hour you want to enter the Camino del Rey
- Select how many people are going in your group (maximum 4 people.) You can select the just ticket or ticket plus bus ticket for your return to your start point.)
- Click on “Comprar” and a new screen appears for you to fill out your details.
- Tick the box to say you accept the rules – “Normas Reguladoras de Uso”
- Click on” Finalizar” and enter your card details and click “Pagar”. You will receive an email with confirmation of your entry…PRINT THIS and take it with you along with your passport AND the credit card that you used to make the purchase on the day of your walk.
Note: Try to get all your info right the first time. Sometimes when the page refreshes and you have got something wrong, the information you previously entered is lost and you have to start again.
Some people are having trouble with the system accepting emails. If this happens try a different email address.
If you can’t get a ticket for the day you want then the only real alternative is to stay in a local hotel. These are the ones nearest to the Caminito del Rey.
Hotel Posada del Conde
Hotel La Garganta
The booking portal for the Caminito del Rey has now made available all dates up to and including the 30th of September 2015. There is also and English language option at the top right of the portal.
Full information for booking a walk can be found here…
Today, the Malaga Council presented its next phase of improvements for the Caminito del Rey that will cost around 1.2 million euros and will include a tunnel, a waterfall and two visitor centers. Presumably some of this money will come from the investment from the company that won the contract to run the walkway for the next four years.
The visitor centres will be located at either end of the Caminito but the biggest investment seems to be in widening and improving the road network leading to the Caminito del Rey. There will also be new information signs for tourists.
What is unknown is whether the Caminito will reopen from the direction of El Chorro or if all visitors will have to walk in one direction from the lake/kings chair/el Kiosko side and return to the start point by bus.
News was also released today that the Caminito del Rey will reopen before the end of April at a cost of 10 euros per person. Distribution of tickets for the coming 4 years is, quite frankly, astounding… 36% for local business (hotels etc), 36 percent for agencies and adventure travel guides, 16% for schools, studies etc and a measly 10% available on the online booking system… This will probably mean the the 10 percent will get snapped up in the first few days leaving the same system of using a local bar or hotel to get a permit as has happened over the last year…