Here we have the best video yet about the restoration project of the Caminito del Rey. The footage of the helicopter flying so close to the walls of the canyon is impressive.
A big announcement today from the Malaga town hall with very little real and solid information. Sigh! The most important news is as follows…
- The Caminito del Rey will open for Easter 2015 which this year falls from the 29th March to the 6th April
- The town hall of Malaga will be in charge of granting access to visitors for the first few months.
- The use of safety helmets will be required but there is no news as to who will supply these helmets.
- To enter the path you will have to reserve online at the official website (Direction of website to be announced at a later date).
- Children under 10 years will not be allowed to enter.
- Entry to the Caminito del Rey will be free of charge for the first “few” months.
- For these first “few months” the Caminito del Rey will be open every day of the week except Monday.
- There is no mention about the king of Spain attending the opening.
I actually prefer the “no news is good news” theory as this latest announcement has raised more questions than answers…. For example, this Easter holiday has two Mondays in it. Will the Camino del Rey be open for these days? 🙂
Some people just can’t wait till the official opening of the Caminito del Rey 🙂 … Although the quality of this video could be better it is fantastic to get a sneak preview as to what the shiny new Caminito del Rey looks like… That said the guy filming it was very lucky not to get in trouble and faced with a hefty fine for entering the prohibited area… I was there on Saturday and the police stopped me from going too close sigh!
Opening date is still to be announced but at the book launch the other day APRIL 2015 was mentioned
I wondered when the favorite son of Malaga, Antonio Banderas would pay a visit to the Caminito del Rey. Accompanied by his new girldriend, Nicole Kimpel, some friends, the mayor of Malaga and the president of the Malaga diputation they walked some of the newly restored route and Antonio was obviously impressed by the work so far.
In the above photo from left to right, Francisco de la Torre, Elías Bendodo, Fran Oblaré, Jesús Fortes, Nicole Kimpel, Antonio Banderas and Carolina España, yesterday(19th december 2014) Caminito del Rey. / Photo Félix Lorenzo – Source www.diariosur.es
The president of the diputation also stated that the works were going to schedule and would be finished by February 2015… However the opening day depends on the availability of the King of Spain, Felipe VI and his obviously busy agenda. Felipe VI has been invited to host the opening as it was his great grandfather that inaugurated the Caminito del “rey” over 100 years ago.. The idea is nice but we’ll have to wait and see if the King actually has the time and the interest to be present.